Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Phrases you need to look out for

So I've been in the American work force for some time now. I've worked full time since I was 21 and part time since 17. I've put my time in.

I do have to admit I've had my share of bosses and customers. Most (90%) have been great and understanding when it has come to me needing time off, coming in late, etc.

I have found though over the years there are some key sentences one must look out for when coming from a boss or customer.



5- If you take this position, you'll make more money.

Translation- This means you will now spend more time at work than ever before. Have less time for youself or anyone else. Those nasty energy drinks will now be consumed like water in an attempt to keep your head above water.



4- I decided to mix things up.

Translation- Now that you just got everything figured out and running smoothly, it's time to start over. Have fun!


3- Can you take care of this real quick?

Translation- Can you drop whatever you are doing because somehow whatever I have is more important. Seriously?


2- Oh, I know how that works.

Translation- They have little to no clue how it works. The EPM has nothing to do with the bearing module when turned to the run position. ( OK, so I made that up. You get the point.)


1- You can do this project! it's easy!

Translation- 1.They have absolutely no idea how long it will take. 2.It's not easy by a long shot. 3. It will take you longer than you ever thought possible. They won't be satisfied untill it's just right and you have at least 10 more gray hairs and symptoms of a possible ulcer.


No comments: